What is a urinary tract infection (UTI)?
A UTI is an infection anywhere in the urinary tract.* Your urinary tract includes the organs that collect and store urine and release it from your body. They are the
- prostate (in men)
- Kidneys. Your kidneys collect wastes and extra water from your blood to make urine.
- Ureters. The ureters carry the urine from your kidneys to your bladder.
- Bladder. Your bladder stores the urine and squeezes it out when full.
- Prostate. The prostate adds fluid to semen.
- Urethra. The urethra carries the urine out of your bladder when you urinate.
*Words in bold type are defined in the glossary