Natural alternatives to oral medications
Diabetes is a chronic disease and the affected persons have to live their whole life with it. Not only that it slowly and gradually damages many vital organs of the body. The main line treatment modes are given below for type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
But all the above prescription medicines do have side effects and some like taking insulin injection is quite cumbersome. But the good news is that alongside the prescription medications there are some natural alternatives that provide impressive benefits to diabetes.
Best Natural Alternatives To Diabetes Medications:
1) Glucoredi – World’s Best Blood Sugar Support
5) Nutrivein Premium Berberine HCL 1200 mg Plus Organic Ceylon Cinnamon supplement
The natural herbal medicine that significantly reduce sugar level
- Gymnema Sylvestre:
It is prepared from the leaves of a climbing shrub that are mostly found in Asia and Africa. It is widely used in the Ayurveda system of medicine for treating diabetes. The benefits of taking the medicine are
Minimises the cravings for sugar. This is achieved by one of the active components known as gymnemic acid. When the patient attempts to take sugary food or beverage, the gymnemic acid inhibits the sugar receptors of the taste bud.
Lowers the absorption of glucose in the intestines. Gymnemic Sylvestre gets attached to the receptors present in the walls of the intestine and prevents absorption of glucose in the small intestine.
Promotes the secretion of insulin by the beta cells of the pancreas.
It also helps in losing weight
- Asparagus Racemosus:
Clinical research has suggested that Asparagus Racemosus is having antibacterial and antioxidant properties. It also enhances the immunity power. Due to its effect in enhancing the immune system it is being used for the treatment of diabetes. Researchers have confirmed that herbal medicine can stimulate the pancreas to secrete more insulin.
- Commiphora Mukul:
This herbal medicine is collected from a tree, guggul, that is found in Africa and Asia. In India it is used as an Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of various ailments. Commiphora Mukul is the gum of the tree that is exuded by the tree as yellow resin. It is useful for the following
- Acne vulgaris
- Lipid disorder
As one line of thinking says that obesity and diabetes are closely linked so the herb also treats diabetes.
Licorice is the root of the plant which is found in Europe and Asia. it is beneficial for the following
- Stomach ulcer
All these benefits are due to its active ingredient glycyrrhizin.
- Momordica charantia: the herbal medicine is prepared from the fruit. It contains a number of minerals such as calcium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus, iron and magnesium. The medicinal value of the fruit is due to its highly antioxidant property.
This is an anti-diabetic medicine and its bitter taste is due to the presence of steroid, proteid, triterpene, alkaloid and phenolic compounds. Researchers have established that it contains several bioactive compounds that contribute to its anti- diabetic effects.
- Pterocarpus Marsupium: it has been used as an anti-diabetic medicine in India for thousands of years. In most cases the aerial seeds of the tree are used as medicine. In addition to the seeds, its wood, leaves and flowers are also used as medicines. Most active ingredient is pterostilbene. Other components are pterosupin, marsupin and epicatechin. Its use are in
- Increasing body’s ability to regulate blood sugar level naturally
- Mangifera Indica: it has a strong anti-diabetic effect. The phenolic acid present in it is the source of its pharmaceutical properties. These phenolic acids have a strong antioxidant effect that helps protect the body tissues from oxidative stress. It is anti-diabetic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic and antilithiatic.
- Shilajit: It is a sticky thing found in the himalayas. Decomposition of plants for thousands of years results in this sticky substance. It has a number of medicinal properties and is used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine. The main component of Shilajit is fulvic acid which is an antioxidant. It improves cognitive health by avoiding the deposition of tau protein. Tau protein is important for the nervous system but its accumulation may cause brain damage. It is beneficial in Alzheimer’s disease, low testosterone, chronic fatigue,ageing, anaemia, infertility and heart health.
- Syzygium Cumini Fruit: this is an Ayurvedic medicine used to treat diabetes. It is anti-inflammatory, digestive, mild astringent, anti-diabetic and anti- hyperglycemic. The sugar lowering property of the fruit is amazing. It contains some anti-diabetic compounds which help in the conversion of starch to energy. In this way it helps in regulating the blood sugar level.
- Berberis Aristata: the herbal medicine is prepared from the root of the plant. This root powder stimulates the pancreas into secreting more insulin and thus regulates the high blood sugar levels. In addition to this the medicine has anti-cancer, anti-inflammation, and anti-infection.
- Enicostemma Littorale: this herbal medicine contains many bioactive compounds of importance. They include flavonoids, alkaloids, catechins, saponins, sterols, triterpenoids, phenolic acid, and xanthones. In addition it has a number of minerals. It has antimicrobial, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory and hypoglycaemic properties. Its beneficial effects are regulating blood sugar levels, curing obesity, rheumatism, stomach issues and fever.
100% Natural Oral Diabetic Medication Supplements To Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Now we would like to deal with five best supplements for lowering blood sugar level made from natural ingredients without any side effects. The supplements have used most of the above natural herbal ingredients.
We have made our own ranking based on our market research. The points that have been considered for the purpose of ranking are
- Customers’ reviews
- Expert reviews
- Ingredients used and the composition
- Reorder rate
Best Oral Diabetic Medications Which Contains All the above Ingredients:
- Glucoredi – World’s Best Blood Sugar Support
- Blood Sugar Optimiser
- Glucofort (Glucofort.com)
- Gymnema sylvestre 1200 mg Extract Capsules
- Nutrivein Premium Berberine HCL 1200 mg Plus Organic Ceylon Cinnamon supplement
Glucoredi has been selected as the topmost ranking natural supplement for blood sugar control. Its formulation has been designed by a group of experts and all the ingredients of the supplement are 100% natural. Mostly the herbal medicines are taken from the Ayurveda system of medicine. Each herbal medicine has been clinically tested to find the bioactive compounds that are responsible for its pharmacological effects.
The ingredients are then scientifically blended in the right proportion so as to get the maximum synergic benefits. Considering its quick response and effectiveness, renowned nutritionists have recommended the supplement for blood sugar control. The advantages of taking the supplement are:
- Relieves from the craving for sugar
- Stimulates the pancreas into releasing more insulin
- Reduced absorption of sugar in small intestine
The supplement is prepared with the highest quality standard. The facilities for the production are GMP certified while all the ingredients are approved by FDA.
Ingredients of Glucoredi
- Gymnema Sylvestre
- Commiphora Mukul
- Momordica Charantia
- Asparagus Racemosus
- Pterocarpus Marsupium
- Mangifera Indica
- Syzigium Cumini
- Berberis Aristata
- Enicostemma Littorale
Gymnema Sylvestre is the most important and effective anti-diabetic herbal ingredient of Glucoredi. Gymnemic acid is the bioactive compound of the ingredient. It also helps in reducing obesity. Obesity and diabetes are closely linked. It finds its use for blood sugar control in different branches of medicine such as Ayurved and Homeopathy.
It prevents sugar cravings. The atomic sequences of molecules of gymnemic acid are similar to the molecules of glucose. When such molecules fill the receptors of the taste bud, these obstruct the sugar molecules thereby eliminating sugar cravings.
It reduces absorption of glucose in the small intestine. Due to the similar reason as above the molecules of Gymnemic acid sit on the receptors of the external layer of the intestine which is responsible for the absorption of Glucose. It results in lowering blood sugar levels.
It also triggers the pancreas to secrete more insulin. More insulin means higher control of blood sugar level. It also enhances the regeneration of cells called islets. It increases the rate of utilisation of glucose thereby burning the glucose into energy.
Commiphora Mukul is a type of resin and is collected in a traditional way. It contains inorganic ions as well as organic compounds. Minerals available in it include calcium, silicon dioxide, iron, magnesium, aluminium and oil. It also contains Phenolics that are highly antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. These compounds are responsible for a diverse beneficial effects of the ingredient against chronic diseases like diabetes etc.
Momordica Charantia has strong antidiabetic effects and can also be used along with the allopathic treatment to achieve faster and lasting relief. Its antidiabetic effect is due to the following constituents:
- Inorganic lipid
- Phenolic compounds
It works by enhancing insulin secretion and lowering absorption of glucose in the intestines.
Licorice is full of anti-diabetic properties. It also reduces the craving for sugar. It is an antioxidant. The other benefits of Licorice are rectifying stomach discontent, improving diseases of airways, and anti-inflammatory. In this way it can be used to set right complex metabolic disorders. The bioactive compounds in Licorice are glycyrrhizin and glycyrrhetinic acid.
All other ingredients of Glucoredi have their own individual benefits, some of which have been narrated in the beginning. Together the blend works synergistically towards lowering the blood sugar level and controlling diabetes.
2) Jarrow Formula Glucose Optimiser
- Vitamin C 100 mg
- Vitamin E 16IU
- Thiamin 5 mg
- Niacin 300 mg
- Vitamin B2 25 mg
- Vitamin B6 5 mg
- Vitamin B12 100 mg
- Biotin 1000 mg
- Magnesium 200 mg
- Selenium 10 mcg
- Manganese 1 mg
- Chromium 200 mcg
- Glycostat wild bitter 750 mg
- Gymneme sylvestre 300 mg
- Alpha Lipoic Acid 200 mg
- Eucalyptus leaf oil 100 mg
- Gamma tocopherol 100 mg
- Resveratrol 50 mg
- Banaba leaf extract 48 mg
Glucose optimiser is a scientific blending of various natural substances. It helps in optimum blood sugar level and also gives antioxidant protection. Alpha Lipoic Acid works in this direction. By enhancing the general metabolism it improves proper utilisation of energy.
Gymnema, banaba, Bitter Melon, eucalyptus oil etc help in the metabolization of glucose. Resveratrol strengthens cardiovascular functioning. It promotes synthesis of nitric oxide.
3) Gymnema Sylvestre Extract 1200 mg
The herbal medicine has six benefits
- Reduces craving for sugar by blocking the receptors of the taste bud for sugar.
- Lowers blood sugar level
- Stimulates the pancreas into secreting more insulin
- Regulates the levels of cholesterol and triglyceride
- Reduces excess weight
- Tannin and Saponin in it work as anti-inflammatory agents
Nutrivein Premium Berberine HCL 1200 mg Plus Organic Ceylon Cinnamon supplement
Berberine is a compound that is found in many plants. It has the following beneficial effects
- Regulation of blood sugar
- Cholesterol reduction
- Digestive support
- The effect of the herbal medicine lasts for 20 hrs.
- Easily absorbed by the body
- Enhanced memory and concentration
- Reduction in excess weight
- Improves metabolism and immunity
Berberine HCL 1200 mg per serving
Organic ceylon cinnamon 200 mg per serving
The bioactive compound berberine is also classified as alkaloid. It is found naturally in many organs such as the brain, kidney, liver etc.
Ceylon cinnamon is a powerful antioxidant. It gives support to the circulatory system and joints & bones. These two work synergistically to regulate blood sugar level.
Glucotrust is a successful sugar optimiser. Its formulators have carefully blended well researched natural herbal ingredients to make it effective. Let us look at its ingredients
Clinical studies have confirmed that ALA is effective in lowering blood sugar level especially if you have diabetes. It also aids in losing weight. And diabetes and being overweight are linked. It enhances insulin sensitivity which means that the body can efficiently use the insulin produced by the pancreas. The extra insulin helps to regulate the sugar level in the blood.
It contains eugenol and cinnamaldehyde. These compounds together work in lowering sugar levels. Cinnamaldehyde triggers the pancreas making it secrete more insulin
The active bioactive substance in guggul is guggulsterone. It has an effect in improving insulin resistance. Insulin resistance means the body’s inability to use the available insulin effectively. It is digestive and anti-inflammatory.
Deficiency in chromium can be one of the causes of insulin resistance. By reversing the insulin resistance chromium can improve the regulation of blood sugar levels.
Vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects from oxidative stress.
Bitter melon contains a compound called cucurbitacin. It triggers the beta cell of the pancreas secreting more insulin.
Diabetes & its available treatments
When we ingest food, the body converts it into glucose for energy. This glucose goes to the blood. Now it is important to keep the glucose level in control which is done by the organ called pancreas that produces insulin in order to neutralise excess glucose.
When the blood sugar level of blood increases beyond its safe limit we call the condition diabetes. Diabetes is caused due to two reasons:
- The pancreas fails to produce sufficient insulin
- The body is not able to use the insulin produced effectively
When the sugar level rises due to ineffective use of insulin by the body the diabetes is called Type 2 diabetes. 95% cases are type 2 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is due to insufficient production of insulin.
Treatment options for Type 1 diabetes
Injecting insulin is the main mode of treatment available in type 1 diabetes. The insulin can be of the following varieties:
- Rapid-acting insulin: this type of insulin starts working within 15 minutes and remains in action for 2 to 4 hrs.
- Short-acting insulin: starts working within 30 mts and remains active for 33 to 6 hrs.
- Intermediate-acting insulin: takes 2 – 4 hrs to start and remains effective for 12 to 18 hrs.
- long -acting insulin: takes 2 hrs to start working and remains effective for 24 hours.
- Ultra-long acting insulin: takes 6 hrs to start and effective for 36 hrs.
- Premixed insulin: work starts by 15 to 30 mts, lasts for 10 to 16 hrs.
Type 2 diabetes treatment options
The medications available for type 2 diabetes are:
- Alpha-glucosidase inhibitor
- DPP4 inhibitors
- Glucagon-like peptides
- SGLT2 inhibitors
Working mechanisms of the above drugs
It works in the intestine by inhibiting the carbohydrate absorption at the level of the small intestine. In our gut there are enzymes such as sucrase, glucoamylase, isomaltase and maltase. These enzymes help in the conversion of complex carbohydrates that are non-absorbable into absorbable simple ones. The drug inhibits such enzymes. In this way by causing delay in absorption the rise in sugar level after taking food is reduced. The drugs in this group are acarbose, miglitol and voglibose.
It consists of a group of medications for diabetes. Their actions are as below:
- Inhibits glucose production in the liver
- Improves the ability of the body to effectively use the available insulin produced by the pancreas
- Reducing sugar absorption in the small intestine.
- In our body there is one enzyme called AMPK that is helpful to the cells in the effective use of the insulin so that it can neutralise more glucose reducing the sugar level in the blood.
Drugs available in this group are the only metformin. But there are two other versions of metformin: Metformin IR and Metformin SR.
DPP 4 Inhibitor
In our body there is one hormone called incretins. It is an important hormone which has a wide role in regulating the sugar level of the blood. Because of the role played by the hormone message reaches the body to produce more insulin when necessary and reduce glucose production by the liver. The hormone works as a guard throughout the day and it is also found that its level gets increased during the meal times.
Generic name of the drugs of this group
- Sitagliptin + metformin
- Vildagliptin + metformin
- Alogliptin + metformin
- Linagliptin + metformin
- Saxagliptin + metformin
Glucagon-like peptide is the incretin hormone. We have already discussed that the incretin hormone has a major role in regulating the production of insulin so that the blood sugar level always remains within the norm. Another effect of this group of drugs is that it can delay the process of gastric emptying. It also suppresses hunger.
Drugs in the group glucagon-like peptides
For regulating the blood sugar level our body produces insulin. This insulin is produced by beta cells in the pancreas. In the case of type 2 diabetes either the production of insulin is insufficient or the body cannot use the produced insulin efficiently.
The group of drugs under Meglitinides works in stimulating the beta cells in the pancreas so that it increases the production of insulin. In this way the medicine helps in lowering the blood sugar level. This is helpful particularly after meals.
Drugs of the group meglitinides
- Prandin [repaglinide]
- Starlix [ nateglinide]
In order to understand the working mechanism of Sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 (SGLT2), we have to know the simple function of our kidney.
Our kidney filters the glucose from the blood and one protein reabsorbs the glucose back into the blood. The name of the protein is sodium-glucose transport protein.
The drugs of SGLT2 inhibitors, as the name suggests, block such proteins. As a result, less and less glucose gets reabsorbed thereby lowering the blood sugar levels.
Drugs of SGLT2 Inhibitors group
- Forxiga [dapagliflozin]
- Jardiance [empagliflozin]
- Invokana [canagliflozin]
This group of drugs’ working mechanism is similar to that of meglitinides. The drug works by stimulating the pancreas into releasing more insulin. Because the insulin neutralises the glucose it helps in lowering the blood sugar level. However the medicine is effective only in those patients that have some functioning of beta cells of the pancreas.
Drugs of Sulfonylureas group
Body metabolism is vital for the well being of humans. By strengthening the metabolism a lot of complications can be minimised. PPAR-gamma receptor is one compound which can trigger many genes within the body. In this way it helps the way our body metabolises glucose and also how it is converted into stored fats.
TZD or Thiazolidinediones activates the PPar-gamma receptor thereby boosting insulin sensitivity. They also protect the cells producing the insulin.
Drugs in Thiazolidinediones group
We find that the supplement Glucoredi has been formulated very intelligently combining potent antidiabetic natural ingredients. The clinical tests also confirmed its effectiveness. It can be taken along with prescription medicines like Metfromin.