Top ways to improve your sexual health and give your sex life a complete makeover.
Sexual happiness and satisfaction are important pillars of a great relationship. Humans are more than mere sentient beings. They are conscious creatures capable of feeling and experiencing things on a deeper level than other forms of life inhabiting the earth.
Unlike other species, sex is not just a means of procreation for evolved humans, rather, it is an intimate act of giving and receiving pleasure to the parties involved in the act. Sex is a way human beings connect physically, emotionally and spiritually with their partners which makes them feel even closer to each other.
In most cases people who have a great sex life also enjoy a very strong and healthy relationship with their partners but unfortunately, many people do not get to experience that intimacy with their partners because something in their sex life is not quite right.
Why people are unhappy with their sex lives?
There can be many reasons behind an unhappy sex life, one of the leading causes being poor sexual health that can be due to other underlying factors such as-
- Medical conditions- it is quite logical to believe that if physical health is suffering, sexual health is bound to suffer. Metabolic and lifestyle disorders like diabetes, hypertension, obesity, thyroid dysfunction can disrupt the natural balance of the body and significantly impact sexual health.
- Lack of understanding with partner– When personal relationships suffer, sex life also suffers. As a result, people start paying less attention to their sexual health and it starts deteriorating. This lowers the quality of their life and makes them depressed.
- Side effects of drugs and medications– Medicines are necessary to treat health conditions but they do not come without a price. The more potent a medication or a drug is, the more side effects it tends to produce which can also take a toll on one’s sexual health.
- Poor diet- Food is deeply connected to sex and sexual health. What one eats shows on the outside. Consuming junk food more often gives rise to health issues which also makes people less active in bed.
- Hormonal imbalance– Hormones are chemical messengers that control internal communication in the body and the way one feels. Lack of sex hormones and feel-good hormones can mess up the reward system and make one sexually inactive.
How to improve sexual health naturally?
Everything cannot be fixed by just popping a pill. A lot of time, effort and patience is needed to improve sexual health.
The 5 best ways to improve sexual health are-
- Eliminating psychological reasons for a more balanced sex life
Sex can only be pleasurable when one is involved in it mentally, physically and emotionally. Moreover, the physical aspect is secondary as compared to the mental and emotional aspects of sex because pleasure is purely a psychological phenomenon.
Many research studies have suggested that psychological disorders like depression, stress and anxiety are linked with poor sexual health. It is only logical to think that if the mind is not happy the body will not find pleasure in anything.
Moreover, not feeling good in one’s own skin is another major factor why people are unable to lead a happy and healthy sex life. Self-acceptance sounds like a cliché but is extremely important because it boosts self-confidence which is a crucial aspect of sexual health.
Having a positive approach in life and trying to address psychological issues with the help of communication and self-acceptance can be a great way forward to leading a balanced sex life.
- Effective communication with your partner
A poor sexual health affects both people in a relationship. If either partner is experiencing a loss of interest in sexual activities or they are suffering from sexual disorders like erectile dysfunction, low libido, inability to have an orgasm; they should communicate with their partner.
Talking about problems can help to resolve them more efficiently and quickly. It also reinforces trust and strengthens the bond between a couple as they feel they have someone in whom they can confide.
Moreover, communication does not only mean talking about problems. It is a way of expression and showing empathy. It can help bridge the gap between mismatched sexual frequencies and help couples connect on a deeper level so they can work on their sexual health together.
Effective communication increases intimacy between couples which helps them to get closer and care for each other’s needs more. It keeps the romance alive and spices up their sexual life.
Having an active sex life is a great way to remain stimulated as it keeps the mind and body happy. As a result, sexual health also improves.
- Exercising regularly
Many sexual health problems arise because of poor lifestyle habits like bad diet, improper sleep cycle and lack of physical activity. Sex is also a physical activity and it needs energy and focus like other physical activities.
When the body is physically active it remains energised which keeps the sex drive high. With regular exercise, the muscles remain in good shape and the blood circulation in the body is maintained. More blood flowing in the body means more blood in the reproductive organs also.
This is essential to maintain good sexual health. Moreover, exercising also releases more feel-good hormones like serotonin and dopamine which keep the mind calm and relaxed This can positively impact the sex drive.
In cases of sexual disorders like erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation doctors also recommend making lifestyle changes and including exercise in the daily routine as these issues are usually a consequence of poor blood circulation and overall health.
- Practicing yoga and mindfulness
Just like the body requires fuel in the form of food, the spirit also requires fuel in the form of meditation. Many people experience lack of concentration and focus while being involved in sexual activities.
This lack of focus does not let them enjoy the moment completely and they might feel a sense of constant sexual dissatisfaction. This can significantly impact the sexual health. In order to focus better and master the art of sexual pleasure, practicing mindfulness is the key.
Yoga has its root in deep meditation and has been used as a way to cure many diseases and ailments since ancient times. It helps one connect with their mind, body and soul on a deeper spiritual level so a person can understand their needs better.
Yoga and meditation help to relax the mind which enhances its ability to concentrate. It has helped people improve their sexual health as well. According to some women who suffered from anxiety-related sexual dysfunction, yoga helped them achieve better orgasms and improved their sexual responsiveness.
In a survey conducted on a group 40 women who practiced yoga for an hour daily, it was found that these women experienced better arousal, lubrication, mobility, orgasm and overall sexual satisfaction. They had happier sex lives than women who did not practice yoga and meditation.
Being connected to one’s mind and body is a great way to practice mindfulness and achieve a better sexual health.
- Including aphrodisiacs in diet
Food is an inseparable part of human existence and plays a crucial role in human sexuality and maintenance of sexual health. Some food items are especially significant when it comes to improving sexual health-
- Maca root – Some studies indicate that maca root positively impacts the sex drive in men.
- Ginkgo biloba- This plant helps to elevate the mood and improve the blood flow in the body which can significantly improve sexual health.
- Fenugreek – In a clinical trial conducted on healthy males aged 25-52, it was found that fenugreek helped to enhance their libido and maintain good levels of testosterone.
- Pistachios- Nuts and seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients. In a study it was found that men who consumed 100 grams of pistachios daily for three weeks were able to achieve firmer and long-lasting erections naturally.
- Chocolate- Chocolate and more specifically dark chocolate is a known aphrodisiac due to the presence of flavonoids in it and this claim is backed by a few clinical trials.
In a 2009 study, the stress hormones produced by 30 people were assessed over a period of two weeks while consuming chocolate. The results of this study indicated that there was reduction in the stress and anxiety levels of these individuals which also helped to improve their sexual health.
Oysters – Oysters are precious for pearls and pleasure. In a study conducted in 2013, it was found that oysters helped to enhance sexual behaviour due to the presence of high levels of zinc in them.
Sexual health is not separate from physical and mental wellbeing. In fact, it is a very significant aspect of the human health and ignoring it can lead to an unhappy and unfulfilling life.
Taking a few mindful steps and making some conscious lifestyle and food choices as discussed above can be a great way to improve sexual health.